John F. O’Reilly is Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of O’Reilly Law Group, a full-service law office providing legal services in all business and personal legal matters including litigation, gaming, real estate, business and entertainment, among others. Mr. O’Reilly and the firm have been extensively involved in many of the major lawsuits in Nevada over the past several decades. His 40+ years of experience as an attorney includes a broad range of businesses, business transactions and business litigation, including numerous multi-million dollar lawsuits.
Mr. O’Reilly’s accounting and business background is an asset to litigation clients as well as in business transactions and in resolving business issues. His experience in the audit and tax departments of the international public accounting and consulting firms of Arthur Anderson & Co. and Ernst & Ernst (now Ernst & Young), as Chairman of the Nevada Gaming Commission, as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of a publicly traded company listed on the New York Stock Exchange, and as a member of numerous boards of directors uniquely qualifies Mr. O’Reilly to address the multitude of legal issues that arise in the business world.
Mr. O’Reilly’s educational background includes a Juris Doctor Degree, a Masters Degree in Business Administration from UNLV, and a Bachelor of Science Degree with a major in Accounting. In addition, he has completed the Stanford Director’s College program as well as numerous other educational programs. His experience as a licensed contractor and real estate broker/developer, in law enforcement, and as a regulator, along with his educational background, enable Mr. O’Reilly to identify, and counsel clients in the development and management of, business opportunities and entities.
Mr. O’Reilly currently serves as:
- President of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) in Las Vegas
- Chairman/Founder of Vision 2020 . . . TODAY, Inc. (formed to initiate and participate in the planning process involved in establishing the Southern Nevada Region as the “Global Community of the 21st Century”)
- Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of O’Reilly Gaming Group
- Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Business Resource Group
- Chairman of the University Medical Center of Southern Nevada Governing Board
- Chairman of Nevada Medical Center, Inc.
- Member of the UCLA Health System Board
- Member of the Community Board of Directors of Wells Fargo Bank Nevada, N.A.
- Member of the Executive Committee of UNLV Foundation Board of Trustees
- Member of the MGM Macau Compliance Committee
- Member of the Ainsworth Game Technology Compliance Committee (AGT/Australia)
- Owner of Renco, Inc. (licensed as Renco Construction since October 1980 and as Renco Realty since April 1985)
Mr. O’Reilly’s experience in numerous areas of law including litigation, hospitality, gaming, tax, construction, insurance, labor, real estate, corporate and bankruptcy enables him to effectively lead the O’Reilly Law Group team of lawyers in providing a full range of legal services to their clients.
- Representation of numerous gaming, hospitality and entertainment companies including MGM Grand Hotel and Casino, Mandalay Resort Group, CasaBlanca Hotel-Casino-Golf-Spa, Westward Ho Motel & Casino, and EMI Music Publishing, as well as entertainers and athletes including Siegfried & Roy, MJJ Productions (Michael Jackson), Olivia Newton-John, Fats Domino, Liberace Estate and Mike Tyson.
- Representation as lead counsel for various parties in complex multi-district litigation.
- Representation in Indian Courts of various persons, including tribal members and contract vendors.
- Representation of Del Webb Corporation, American West Homes, Lewis Homes, American Nevada Corporation, and numerous other developers and contractors.
- Representation of Lake Las Vegas Resort, a multi-billion dollar resort community involving development of residential, hotel, casino, restaurant and retail properties, private lake, golf courses and related entertainment facilities.
- Representation of various clients in mergers, acquisitions, purchases and sales of businesses and business entities.
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Nevada
- State Bar of Missouri
- Clark County Bar Association
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Military Appeals
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Nevada
- U.S. Tax Court
- The Supreme Court of Nevada
- Nevada State and Local Courts
- Missouri State and Local Courts
- American Association for Justice (formerly American Trial Lawyers Association)
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Commercial Law League of America
- International Association of Gaming Attorneys
- Nevada Trial Lawyers Association
Professional Activities / Community Involvement
John O’Reilly is an entrepreneur who has been active in the business community and who has provided substantial volunteer community leadership. He has been involved in numerous community-wide issues and initiatives relating to growth, infrastructure, transportation, communication, education, health care, child development, family resources and various other issues which have an impact on the quality of life in Southern Nevada.
An avid sports fan, Mr. O’Reilly was appointed to serve as Chairman of the Community College of Southern Nevada Intercollegiate Athletics Study Committee, a committee that was successful in obtaining an intercollegiate athletics program at CCSN. As a result of that accomplishment, Mr. O’Reilly was appointed to serve as Chairman of the Community College of Southern Nevada Intercollegiate Athletics Advisory Committee, and was awarded a 1999 Honorary Associates Degree from Community College of Southern Nevada as well as a Senatorial Recognition of the same from United States Senator Richard H. Bryan.
Mr. O’Reilly has served as a member and/or in a leadership capacity of numerous organizations and associations, for-profit and non-profit businesses, and governmental entities. Among those are:
|ADR Services, Inc.||Mediator|
|Air Force Association||Member|
|American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)||President|
|American Trial Lawyer’s Association (now American Association for Justice) Partnership in Advocacy Program||Member|
|Bishop Gorman High School||Past President, Board of Regents|
|Boulder Dam Area Boy Scout Council||Member, Advisory Board|
|Boys & Girls Clubs of Las Vegas||Member, Advisory Board|
|Business Resource Group||Chairman and Chief Executive Officer|
|Casino Management Association||Member|
|Catholic Community Services||Member, Advisory Board|
|City of Las Vegas||Former Alternate Municipal Judge|
|Clark County Bar Association||Past President|
|Clark County Bar Association Communiqué Magazine||President and Former Editor|
|Clark County Bar Association’s Past Presidents Association||Founder and Past President|
|Clark County Public Education Foundation||Board Member|
|Community College of Southern NevadaIntercollegiate Athletics Advisory Committee||Former Chairman|
|Downtown Las Vegas Partnership||Member|
|Family Cabinet, Inc.||Founder and Former Chairman|
|First Interstate Bank of Nevada||Member, Board of Directors|
|Governor’s Health Care Systems Review Committee State of Nevada||Past Chairman|
|Henderson Chamber of Commerce||Member, Board of Directors|
|Herbst Gaming||Former Director|
|International Association of Gaming Attorneys, Government Affairs Section||Past Chairman|
|International Association of Gaming Investigators||Member|
|International Platform Association||Member|
|Knights of Malta of the Order ofMalta Western Association U.S.A.||Member|
|Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce and its influentialGovernment Affairs Committee||Past Chairman and Member, Board of Trustees|
|Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce Foundation||Past Chairman|
|Las Vegas Corporate Challenge Community Foundation||Past President|
|Las Vegas Strip Improvement Project Committee||Former Member|
|Loyola Marymount University||Former Member, Board of Trustees and Board of Regents|
|National Association of Industrial Office Parks||Member|
|Nevada Development Authority||Member|
|Nevada Federal Credit Union||Past President and Member, Board of Directors|
|Nevada Gaming Commission||Past Chairman|
|Nevada Gaming Policy Committee||Former Member|
|Nevada Goals 2000||Member|
|Nevada Medical Center, Inc.||Chairman of the Board|
|Nevada Police and Fire Emerald Society||Member|
|Nevada Taxpayers Association||Member|
|Nevada Test Site Development Corporation (a non-profit corporation formed to encourage economic development activities at and related to the Nevada Test Site and its affected communities)||Founding Chairman and Chairman Emeritus|
|NV Energy (formerly Sierra Pacific Resources)||Former Member, Board of Directors|
|NV Energy Finance Committee||Former Chairman|
|O’Reilly Gaming Group||Chairman and Chief Executive Officer|
|Regional Transportation Commission Citizens AdvisoryCommittee||Former Member|
|Southern Nevada Home Builders Association||Member|
|Strategic Associates, Inc. (a company which led the businessplanning process relating to the redevelopment of Downtown Las Vegas(Fremont Street) and the creation of the Fremont Street Experience)||Past Chairman|
|The Nevada Board – Collaboration Nation(a bi-partisan leadership group focused on a more independent, intelligent and collaborative Nevada)||Member|
|United Way of Southern Nevada||Former Member, Board of Directors|
|University of California Los Angeles Health System||Board Member|
|University of Nevada Las Vegas Foundation||Former Chairman, Board of Trustees|
|UNLV International Gaming Institute||Member, Advisory Council|
|Urban Land Institute||Member|
|Vision 2020…TODAY, Inc.||Founder and Chairman|
|Wells Fargo Bank Nevada, N.A.||Member, Community Board of Directors|
Publications, Programs and Public Speaking
John O’Reilly is an author and recognized public speaker who has received numerous honors and awards, and is a member of the International Platform Association, an organization founded in 1831 by Daniel Webster & Josiah Holbrook for public speakers and entertainers.
From 1989 through 1996, Mr. O’Reilly coordinated the annual Gaming Hall of Fame Awards and served as its Master of Ceremonies, honoring such notables in the gaming industry as William Harrah, Bill Bennett, Benny Binion, Barron Hilton, Sam Boyd, Kirk Kerkorian, Steve Wynn and many other gaming industry leaders.
In 1991, he prepared the industry-wide survey/report on the future of gaming in the State of Nevada, “Gaming in Nevada Status Report” and, in 1992, co-authored the Downtown Progress Association’s strategic Business Plan for the Fremont Street Experience.
In September 1996, John O’Reilly launched the “Random Acts of Kindness Revolution” in Clark County by challenging the bar association and governmental personnel to perform gestures of goodwill toward both local residents and visitors to Southern Nevada.
Mr. O’Reilly served as the Executive Producer of “Preview Las Vegas,” the annual forecasting event hosted by the Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce and voted the “Number One Business Event of the Year” by the Las Vegas Business Press readership. In connection with “Preview,” Mr. O’Reilly made numerous appearances on radio and television news and talk shows, and was the Executive Producer and Co-Host of the two-hour special “The Future of Las Vegas . . . TODAY!,” which aired on KLVX-TV in early 1997.
Also in 1997, John O’Reilly created and presented Vision 2020 . . . TODAY!, a blueprint for the future of Southern Nevada. In addition, he has written numerous articles relating to various aspects of life in Southern Nevada, including gaming, entertainment, tourism, community issues, quality of life and the future of the Southern Nevada Region.
Over the past several decades, Mr. O’Reilly has participated as a speaker, moderator, instructor and/or panel member at various gaming, real estate and forecasting conferences in Las Vegas, throughout the United States and around the globe, including:
- Asia Pacific Gaming Conference
- Entertainment Real Estate Forum
- Entertainment Retail Conference
- FBI National Academy Conference
- Gaming & Resorts Business Development
- Gaming Development & Investment Forum
- Global Energy Futures Exchange
- Global Super Projects Conference
- Governor’s Conference on Economic Development
- Governor’s Conference on Travel & Tourism
- International Gaming & Business Expo
- Land Faire
- Real Trends
- Riverboat Gaming Congress & Expo
- World Gaming Congress & Expo
In addition, Mr. O’Reilly has served as the keynote speaker at various conferences and luncheons for such professional organizations as:
- American Planning Association
- CPA Education Association
- Nevada Development Authority
- Nevada Society of CPAs
- Society for Marketing Professional Services
- Western Electric Power Institute
- Clark County Bar Association
- Greater Las Vegas Association of Realtors
- Kiwanis Club
- League of Women Voters
- National Association of Industrial Office Properties
- Nevada Independent Insurance Agents
- Nevada Restaurant Association
- Rotary Club
- Southern Nevada Human Resources Association
Mr. O’Reilly portrayed Meriwether Lewis in “The Trial of Thomas Jefferson” for the National Judicial College and has spoken at several leadership conferences including the Clark County Leadership Forum, the Clark County Mid-Managers Leadership Conference, Leadership Las Vegas and the Youth Leadership Advance. Mr. O’Reilly has also presided as the Chairman at various events and fundraisers hosted by local and national non-profit organizations.
In 2012, Mr. O’Reilly developed, produced and presided over “Leaders of Industry: The Business Mixer of the Year” at The Smith Center in Las Vegas for the benefit of Nevada Public Radio KNPR. This spectacular event, which coincided with the “Rediscover Downtown” campaign, was attended by over 300 local business people and honored nearly 40 leaders of various industries.
Through the years, Mr. O’Reilly has focused on various medical issues and challenges. In early 2014, he participated in the Las Vegas City Council Strategic Planning meeting as a presenter on the topic of new medical initiatives for which he received commendation from Mayor Carolyn Goodman for his enlightening and inspiring advocacy of University Medical Center.
Legal Honors and Recognition
- LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell AV Rated Twenty-Five Years +
(Highest Possible Peer Review Rating in Legal Ability and Ethical Standards)
- MyVegas Magazine Top 100 Lawyers of Las Vegas
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- VegasInc Top Lawyers (The Best of the Best in Southern Nevada)
- Who’s Who in American Law
Other Honors and Recognition
John O’Reilly has been recognized in such publications as Who’s Who in the World, Who’s Who in the West, Who’s Who in Government, Distinguished Men in Southern Nevada and the 2007 Irish America Magazine’s The Business 100: A Salute to The Irish in Corporate America.
In addition, Mr. O’Reilly was honored as an “Ambassador of Courtesy” by the Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce and the Las Vegas Convention & Visitors Authority, was selected to represent the community as a Torchbearer for the 1996 Olympic Torch Relay, and is a supporter of the United States Olympic Committee’s Team USA’s Journey on the Road to Sochi.
Further, in July 2015, Mr. O’Reilly was recognized by the U.S. Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation, for successfully completing the FBI Community Relations Executive Seminar Training, demonstrating a commitment to the FBI mission.
Additional honors and awards include:
- American Heart Association’s “Honoree of the Year” (2014)
- Clark County Pro Bono Project George & Doree Dickerson Humanitarian Award (1999)
- We Can Public Awareness Award (1996)
- American Diabetes Association Rising Star Award (1996)
- Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce Circle of Excellence Award (1995)
- Boys & Girls Clubs Outstanding Alumnus Award (1995)
- American Lung Association Honor Award (1993)
Mr. O’Reilly served as a Captain, legal officer, military judge and Chief of Civil Law and contracts officer in the United States Air Force.
- University of Nevada Las Vegas, cum laude, M.B.A., 1974
- St. Louis University School of Law, cum laude, J.D., 1969
- St. Louis University, B.S.C., 1967